Skip to main content


Children & Family



NPLS generally does not provide representation in divorce.  Some of our offices provide workshops to help you file a divorce yourself in limited situations.  These include cases where there is no marital property and:

  • your spouse will agree to the divorce OR
  • you have been separated for more than one year. 

If you are a victim of domestic violence, depending on your location there may be some services available through your local women's center.  If you are a victim of domestic violence, women's centers by county are available through the Local Resources & Lawyer Referrals link below.

You can read more about this topic in our Family Law Handbook (English) or Family Law Handbook (Spanish).

NPLS has launched an automated program to help individuals seeking a divorce.  More details are included in the Divorce Tracker description below.

The Divorce Tracker

What is the Divorce Tracker?  The Divorce Tracker is a free automated program that helps guide individuals through the divorce process in Pennsylvania and generates the forms necessary to pursue a simple, uncontested divorce action. This generally means that you and your spouse:

  • both agree to a divorce or have been separated over 1 year and
  • have no disputes over children, money or property.

What you must know before you begin: The Divorce Tracker guides a user through three (3) packets of questions and forms addressing the different stages of the divorce process. To use the Divorce Tracker, you must complete each packet in order, starting with Packet 1.

At the end of each packet, you must save your answers to the questions, so the information can be used in the next packet. In order to save your answers, you must register on the LawHelp Interactive website when you complete the first packet, Packet 1: Starting Your Divorce.

  • Packet 1: Starting Your Divorce
    This section of the Divorce Tracker will help you prepare forms to start a simple, uncontested divorce case in Pennsylvania.
  • Packet 2: Continuing Your Divorce
    This section of the Divorce Tracker will help you prepare the next set of divorce forms AFTER you filed and served the Divorce Complaint.
  • Packet 3: Finalizing Your Divorce
    This section of the Divorce Tracker will help you prepare the final set of forms to obtain a simple, uncontested divorce in Pennsylvania.

Please click on the link below for the packet you would like to view and work with:

Packet 1: Starting Your Divorce

Packet 2: Continuing Your Divorce

Packet 3: Finalizing Your Divorce


  • Can I retake my maiden name after my divorce is final?

    At any time after the entry of a final divorce decree the litigant can retake their prior last name by filling out a form  to retake your maiden name.  The form can be obtained from your local Protonotary or Clerk of Court indicating that you wish to retake your maiden name.

  • Is there common law marriage in Pennsylvania?

    Pennsylvania stopped recognizing common law marriage on January 2, 2005. However, if your common law marriage was established prior to that date, your marriage may be recognized as valid. It will be your burden to prove the elements of common law marriage that existed before 2005.

Self-Help Resources

Local Resources & Lawyer Referrals